b3ta.com user Lord of Balrogs
You are not logged in. Login or Signup
Profile for Lord of Balrogs:
Profile Info:

I'm Dave, from Darlington. History student at university and also a bit eccentric at times.

Recent front page messages:


Best answers to questions:

» The nicest thing someone's ever done for me

Messy knee!
To set this story up, I first need to say that even though I am English born and bred, I've always been happiest when walking in the Scottish Highlands. My favorite place in the world, in fact, is the Isle of Skye in the Inner Hebrides, and that is where the following story takes place.

Twas the summer of 1999, the month before I started secondary school as it happens, and my family and I were camping in a small campsite just north of Portree. This, for those of you unfamiliar with Skye, is a rather small town which is still, for all intents and purposes, the capital of the island - there being no larger settlements. Tourist hub and all that jazz. Anyhow, it was a bright and sunny day with no sign of this changing, and we decided to get our bikes out and cycle to the Braes (a mountainous coastal region to the south) and back. All went well until we reached the beginning of the road up to the Braes, when things got rather difficult. What followed were 2 hours of labour as we rode along a twisting, steep path up the valley, until we reached the outskirts of the Braes, with some miles to go before turning back.

By this time it was raining. My parents told me to go ahead while they took a photo of my brother. I went round a bend but, before I could brake, momentum carried me down a very steep and sharply turning road. The wind was blowing rain in my eyes, and I couldn’t see anything. I hit my brakes, but the rain had saturated them beyond use. But I stayed on my bike until I reached the bottom of the road, where unknown to me the rain had washed loose gravel from the road and hillside into a collection point. I hit said patch of gravel on the road, and the sudden change in momentum flung me off my bike. I landed head first, and I am certain that my helmet saved my life. The rain had made the gravel loose, and I skidded along the ground before coming to a stop, tearing open my jeans at the knees in the process. I lay there for what seemed to be years, but must have been only seconds. I heard a car coming, but the sound, while seeming close, was in fact being carried across the valley. I dragged myself off the road, along with my bike, and soon my family arrived. Now I saw my injuries were mainly grazes, but my knee, where the jeans had ripped away, appeared to be severely messed up, with blood everywhere.

The car I had heard passed by. The driver asked if I needed help, but we politely refused as we didn't want to cause a fuss. Also we didn't yet realise how badly my knee was damaged. However, minutes later he came back, and insisted in bringing my father and I to his house, to clean me up and to get my wounded knee seen to as much as possible. When we arrived I was given hot, sweet tea to remedy my shock, while my knee was being cleaned. This took around one or two hours as so much gravel had gotten into the wound, also a large amount of flesh was gone or damaged to the point where it would in time fall away, and it took some time to stop the bleeding. Amusingly, the man (a farmer as you may have guessed) put a large amount of high-power antiseptic vetinary cream intended for livestock on my knee. Which makes sense, really - when you are that far out, you need powerful medical tools to prevent your herds dying from relatively small injuries becoming septic. In any case, I was lucky - the farmer told us that hill was an accident blackspot, and that only a month before a young man had been killed when something similar happened to him, but on a motorbike. He had been thrown over a fence at the side of the road, but failed to clear the metal fencepost fully and had been killed instantly.

We eventually said our goodbyes and (very slowly, as my knee was moreorless paralysed with pain and swelling) we made our way back to the campsite. Before leaving the island later that week, I wrote the farmer a thankyou letter. The wound itself took several months to heal, as it carried on weeping a foul smelling fluid for a long time, and in fact turned out to contain a very deep seated infection which would have festered a lot longer had I not knocked my knee at school a few months later and torn the wound again - this time releasing the pressure of the infection and letting it heal. Nowadays, the scar is almost invisible believe it or not, as a combination of time and the natural paleness of my skin has let it fade.

So that is my story of the nicest thing someone ever did for me - the farmer who, despite my insistence that I would be okay, turned his car around and took an injured 11 year old and his father in to ensure they were okay, not because he had to, or because he owed us something. Just because he could, and believed it was the right thing to do.
(Sun 5th Oct 2008, 14:57, More)

» Impulse buys

Last week, in a second-hand bookshop in Newcastle...
...I found that evidentally someone geeky had recently died and their family had sold their book collection, for pretty much every Star Wars novel *ever* was in there for rather cheap prices - £1 or £2 each mostly. So, bearing in mind I had to walk 2 miles back to my flat from the city centre, what did I do?


I bought a large proportion of said collection, those I didn't buy being due to already owning them or already knowing they were shit. In total, about 30 books, 6 of which were hardbacks. I then proceeded to carry them in thin plastic bags all the way back to my flat, which made my hands hurt like hell. Worth it though - means I won't need to look for anything to read for the next few months!
(Thu 21st May 2009, 23:21, More)

» Famous people I hate

I have to admit, back when his music first began to be played - before it started to get played constantly to the point of hatred - I actually quite liked him. So obviously when he announced a gig at my university, I got tickets. However, by the time of the gig, he had become rather massive and you couldn't turn on a radio without being bombarded by his singles. So my patience for him was wearing a little thin by then, but I went to the gig anyhow. Maybe I would enjoy it!

Truth be told, it was actually quite good in a nothing-special-but-a-nice-night-out way. But I certainly wasn't wanting to listen to him again in a hurry. Regardless, I decided, along with some of my friends, that we would lurk at the stage door of the students union and see if we could get an autograph.

Sure enough, he came out after about 10 minutes and began signing our gig tickets with autographs and dedications.....but when he got to me, and asked what my name was, when I told him I was called Dave he looked at me, laughed and said "You look more like a sissy to me", and dedicated my ticket to "Sissy". He then went back inside laughing before I could say a word, and had his burly minders hustle myself and my friends away.

From what I heard through some friends who went to other of his gigs, and one who was venue security at a gig he played, he often did similar random pranks on fans during that tour, as well as refusing to be photographed with any male or adult female fans, only teenage girls, and generally acting like a diva.

Personally I think all this, combined with his refusal to comment on his sexuality, may suggest he is DEEPLY in denial or self-loathing about his sexuality.
(Fri 5th Feb 2010, 3:45, More)