You are not logged in. Login or Signup
Home » Messageboard » Make Fatties Useful » Message 10401992

[challenge entry] Too far?

From the Make Fatties Useful challenge. See all 74 entries (closed)

(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:35, archived)
# Not too far at all.
An utterly fatuous point, in my personal opinion, though, since you're not comparing like with like. There is sometimes a genetic predisposition to obesity. There is always a genetic predisposition to race. There is never a genetic predisposition to religion (although many religious organisations would have you believe otherwise).

Just my opinion, though, I'm just disagreeing with you, I'm not disparaging your opinion.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:39, archived)
# Agreed.
edit: But with a little more disparagement.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:41, archived)
# To be fair,
I just think she stole this from here: b3ta.com/questions/imagechallenge/post1180582
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 13:33, archived)
#
There is sometimes a genetic predisposition to obesity cake and pies.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:43, archived)
# I wish all pavements were those travelator things you get at airports
Then I could roll out of my house and be within scoffing range of a cake in a few minutes with minimal effort.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:50, archived)
# Wouldn't you prefer it if the pavements were made of cake?
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:52, archived)
# That's an interesting point
I suggest we repurpose the pavement travelators into cake conveyor belts that all lead to my tummy.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:57, archived)
# Like very large sushi carousels
but linear, and with cake.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:57, archived)
# Exactly. We'd have to strictly moderate what is put on the conveyor belt though. I have a number of enemies and don't want to be poisoned.
Maybe there should be a general cull of all people other than me and cake chefs.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:02, archived)
# Straight into your tummy?
Via some kind of horrific gaping wound?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:00, archived)
# I'm imagining it delivering cake quite rapidly.
Frankly, trying to eat it at that rate would present a serious choking hazard. I've thought about it you see.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:03, archived)
# When I win the lottery,
I'm going to buy a shop in town.
Stop running it as a shop and just live there, but have a large display of cakes in the window.
Whenever anyone walks in, hoping to purchase a cake, I'll tell them to get the fuck out of my house.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:06, archived)
# Well I'm not speeding up your escalator.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:07, archived)
# Well that's just fine.
Maybe I didn't want my escalator over-clocked anyway.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:09, archived)
# spang!
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:10, archived)
# A bit like this
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:19, archived)
# Ahaha,
fun for all the family.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:21, archived)
# HOLY COW!
'slinks away'
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:29, archived)
# I have long legs, and walk quite fast.
There's nothing like the satisfaction you get from being stuck behind someone on one of those travelators, then overtaking them by walking the next section beside the travelator, and rejoining the section after that in front of them.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:53, archived)
# I have eight legs and scurry along the ceiling.
That really freaks those jet-setters out.
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:55, archived)
# Similarly, when at tube stations I quite like the looks I get when I go up a flight of stairs quicker than the adjacent escalator
Escalators should move people at ~20mph. Good idea / bad idea?
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:59, archived)
# And be covered in cake, I suppose?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:02, archived)
# There would certainly be a cake shop at the end
The only reason to make escalators move at ~20mph is to speed the procurement of cake.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:04, archived)
# The cake is a lie
# Isn't this entire site fatuous?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:00, archived)
#
big-boneduous
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:03, archived)
# good point, well made
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:33, archived)
# I will admit
I had to double-check what fatuous meant. I thought it meant something else.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:58, archived)
# I think the point is not to pick on people because they are superficially different.
Attacking fat people is exactly as bad as racism, ageism, sexism and all the other isms (apart from prisms which are cool).
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:23, archived)
# If fat people weren't greedy, they wouldn't be fat.
Age, race, sex, sexuality are not matters of choice.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:28, archived)
# So it's okay to pick on someone if they've made bad choices in their lives?
As long as they brought it upon themselves then they're fair game? I'm no hippie but can't we be a bit more civilised than that?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:33, archived)
# I was simply trying to point out that the things you mentioned were not all the same.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:41, archived)
# I maintain that they are the same.
Essentially disliking someone who is different to you.

Perhaps one thing you might consider is this - 99% of fat people desperately want to be slim and healthy. Society increasingly derides them for being fat. The message to be slim is pronounced and yet these people are still unable to control their weight problems despite all the misery they will endure. This alone should tell you that it isn't the childlike explanation that you gave - attributing their condition to basic greed.

Anyway, I don't feel like arguing tonight, you're free to hate whoever you like based on whatever arbitrary characteristic you choose.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:11, archived)
# I don't hate fatties, never said I did.
But thanks for the permission anyway.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:24, archived)
# I didn't grant any permission. I stated a fact. You are free.
Like Mr Humphries.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:41, archived)
# But you preceded it with 'I don't feel like arguing tonight',
which implies that that is why I am free to do it.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:47, archived)
# Grammatically ambiguous I conceed.
Anyway, I usually avoid debating with people online as it is often a monumental waste of time. Both sides are so intractable.

I will rephrase and say that we are all entitled to our own views. And finally... I must turn in because it's an early start for me tomorrow.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 2:05, archived)
# Even if you don't hate them you probably shouldn't talk to them
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:55, archived)
# Ah now, it is absurdly simplistic to say that obesity is caused by "greed".
Fuck, this is exactly like the AV thing again. I'm largely on your side, but your argument sucks.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:38, archived)
# I was maybe being a little simplistic there, yes.
But the only way to get fat is to take in more calories than you burn off, ie more than you need.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:43, archived)
# Do you spend your entire life only ingesting what you "need" to survive?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:47, archived)
# Well I'm not a greedy, fat bastard if that's what you mean.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:50, archived)
# I believe that it is "genetic" in so far
as desires are not something people can control, and some people have far more desire to eat than others, with hunger being far harder for them to satiate than for other people.

I personally would struggle not to eat when I am hungry if food is available.

edit: Point being that it's not a level playing field, and so not necessarily fair to say "I eat well, why can't you?"
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:55, archived)
# desires are not genetic
Edit: I would be interested to see how many fatties gleefully contributed to the Gingers challenge.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:56, archived)
# Would something like sexual desire not be seen as caused by genetics?
I am aware that my statement was badly paraphrasing stuff I'd read ages ago, so I am likely to use terms wrongly.

edit: this is what I was trying to say:

(from Nature via Nurture by Matt Ridley)
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:04, archived)
# basal desires are kind of Freudian in terms of their scientific validity.
While it's true that these desires are biologically based, in that they are semi-automatic impulses, they are not solely genetically determined. To summarise, the genotype sets the raw framework for development, where as the phenotype is the expression of the combination of the genotype and environmental factors (in the case of the brain: learning, diet, general health, etc). So, people's desire for food may possibly be genetically predisposed to eat more than another person, this doesn't necessarily mean that it is written in stone... so a child's experience in relation to food, their education etc can influence whether they'll be fat.

Basically, I'm saying that not only are fatties to blame for being fat, so are their parents.

Not really, there are many influences, though parents should exert a measure of control over their overeating kids which may help them to achieve a balance in future...

Sorry if this is gobbledygook, I'm tired.

Edit: yes, I would mostly agree with Mr. Ridley, but wanting something is not the same as doing something. I walk past Greggs often and everytime I do, I want ALL of the pies. However, my control over my own primal impulses prevents me from eating all of the pies and groping the lovely 18 year old girl who gave me all the pies.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:13, archived)
#
I largely agree with you.
But I'm fed up with this discussion now.
I wasn't expecting people to make such a meal of it.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:22, archived)
# I'm off to bed now, you can carry on this discussion without me
you gorgeous people
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:25, archived)
# yes
enough of this fatuousness
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:26, archived)
# I enjoy food, but whenever I feel I might be putting on a bit of weight, I eat less.
It really is that simple.

Oh, and I exercise.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:58, archived)
# The key word there is "I".
You cannot realistically apply your own standards, desires, motivations, restraint, etc. to everyone else on the planet. We are not all the same.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:01, archived)
# this is true
however, weight loss and lifestyle alteration requires effort, which may therefore leave fat people open to criticism that they are lazy etc. although it's obviously not always that simple.

erm... what was my point... oh yes, the internet is v. srs bzns this week. I look forward to the b3ta challenges where all of the world's citizens are protected from offence.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:05, archived)
# except scientologists
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:12, archived)
# I know we're not all the same,
but there are far more obese people in the developed/decadent west than the rest of the world.
I would argue that most of them got that way by eating too much.
I'm not really sure what your point is.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:07, archived)
# My point is that there are more contributing factors than just "eating too much".
That is, undoubtedly, the vital factor. There are other contributing factors though.

There are far more people alive in the developed/decadent west who would not be alive in the rest of the world. Age is one thing which predisposes a lot of people to obesity. They use less energy, they take in the same amount, they get fatter as they get older. Hell, it'll probably happen to me, you, and everyone else in this thread. I guess we should all just instinctively know how much less we should eat?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree that sedentary lifestyles which encourage obseity are a huge problem, both for the individuals concerned and (speaking from professional experience) for a publicly funded health service. I just think that saying ZOMG THEY'RE FAT BECAUSE THEY'RE GREEDY LOL is not particularly helpful.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:21, archived)
# This is the last thing I want to say on the matter, really, I think it's run its course:
I wasn't trying to be 'helpful', I was trying to argue that the fatty challenge wasn't similar to racism or sexism.
Of course I understand that lots of factors contribute to someone becoming overweight, I was being slightly flippant.
But whatever the reasons are (depression, trauma, cake amnesia) behind the over-eating and lack of exercise, these are still the cause of obesity.
Unless, of course, your kidneys are fucked or something like Sandettie mentions below.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:32, archived)
# or maybe
The people in the third world are not obese because there is often a shortage of food,
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 14:01, archived)
# you just did.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:08, archived)
# No I didn't, you're being obtuse.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:11, archived)
#
You cannot, realistically, apply your own standards, desires, motivations, restraint, etc. to everyone else on the planet. We are not all the same.

So, by your argument, you cannot apply your ideas to llort.

I don't see how this is obtuse.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:19, archived)
# At what point did I say, or imply, that I was applying my ideas to llort?
I was having a discussion with him.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:22, archived)
# Right here
You cannot, realistically, apply your own standards, desires, motivations, restraint, etc. to everyone else on the planet. We are not all the same.

And no. You were expecting everyone to conform to your prejudices on a public forum.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:26, archived)
# What about water retention
if you had knackered kidneys from sort of hereditary kidney disease whereby you need to have dialysis 4 times a week by the time you turn 40?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:04, archived)
# Well, okay, maybe they shouldn't be used for any compo entries.
Not that I've made any. I don't think it's the best compo idea.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:10, archived)
# And Polio
If somebody weighs 20 stone in an iron lung, it's hardly his fault.

Stephen Hawking manages to stay trim somehow, though.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:34, archived)
# haha - iron lung
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:38, archived)
# it's essentially a result of affluence, a consumerist society, greed, sloth, depression, apathy, disillusionment with salad, unhealthy relationships with pies etc
I know this, for I was once a fat cunt. I am no longer a fat cunt.

I'm a marginally overweight cunt.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:52, archived)
# and jism?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:00, archived)
# Religion,
where is imchoked when he's needed.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:25, archived)
# FAT PEOPLE ARE JUST WHITE NIGGERS
cf. Fat people
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:47, archived)
# what is cf,
cystic fibrosis?
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:52, archived)
# abbrev of latin for confer
meaning "consult"

(used incorrectly here, really)
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:55, archived)
# IF FAT PEOPLE ARE JUST WHITE NIGGERS...
...what about fat black people?
(, Wed 27 Apr 2011, 14:00, archived)
# "Fuck off. We're full."
But it's waffer thin...
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:47, archived)
#
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:55, archived)
# 2 Girls One's cup?
#
Ones'
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:20, archived)
# no
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:46, archived)
# YES
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 2:29, archived)
# That was less painful than I thought it would be
Edit: maybe I spoke too soon.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 2:04, archived)
# nah, it's all good
fuck it, time for bed.
g'night all!
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:58, archived)
# light weight
(, Mon 25 Apr 2011, 23:59, archived)
# The difference is...
Fat people don't get terrorised by gangs of skinheads. There aren't articles in the gutter press saying fat people are the cause of crime and unemployment and should fuck off back to fatland. There aren't mad far-right parties contesting elections on the anti-fat ticket...

Don't play down racism by comparing it to a handful of fattie jokes.
EDIT: Unless you're being sarcastic or something, in which case just ignore this.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:04, archived)
# Fat on fat violence
Is a channel somewhere in the upper reaches of the EPG I think
# I'm not so sure about that
have you seen that film Seven? or Se7en as it's also known as.
I saw a fat man die in that just because he was fat.

I mean what is the world coming to? Shame on us.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:15, archived)
# I have been beaten up simply because I'm fat. I've been abused in the street and as a group, people like me have been denigrated in the press
I agree with you though as far as that racism and the problems faced by those who haven't got white privilege is much more serious than the abuse faced by people who are lardy, and racism is a whole different planet to the anti-fat brigade.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:26, archived)
# At the risk of apparently contradicting what I said up there,
I'd say that it's not a "whole different planet". What you're describing is knee-jerk prejudice based on nothing more than appearance, which makes it pretty much the same planet.

In no way does this contradict what I said up there, this is a subtly different kettle of fish.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:45, archived)
# wednesday isn't far away...
so, instead of lacking enthusiasm for porky fucks with comedy potential, i'll be lacking enthusiasm for posh fucks with comedy potential.
might as well have a ten day wank.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:13, archived)
#
okay then
# I think we all know what the compo is going to be next week...
Sadface.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:21, archived)
# i'm hoping it's horses!
because i love horses. www.deagostini.com.au/ilovehorses/
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 0:26, archived)
# Best of all the animals
If served with the appropriate sauce.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:14, archived)
# jews?
they can be made into soap. so why not all the other people you mention huh? huh?

fat people are fat cos they overeat. i saw recently that the fattest man in the UK had lost something liek 20 stone, so all those fatties who say they can't lose weight are just lying
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 9:47, archived)
# or maybe
It's not that simple. I refer you to my comment above about kidney problems.
(, Tue 26 Apr 2011, 14:05, archived)