b3ta.com qotw
You are not logged in. Login or Signup
Home » Question of the Week » Things we do to fit in » Post 348838 | Search
This is a question Things we do to fit in

"When I was fifteen," writes No3L, "I curled up in a Budgens trolley while someone pushed it through the supermarket doors to nick vodka and Benny Hedgehogs, just to hang out with my brother and his mates."

What have you done to fit in?

(, Thu 15 Jan 2009, 12:30)
Pages: Popular, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

« Go Back

Losing my religion...
As my screen name implies, I grew up in Liverpool. I want to a normal (if slightly right-wing Catholic) primary school, so i had a normal Scouse accent. I then got a grant to go to a posh, public school 95% of the kids there had had their places bought for them by their parents, I was in the remaining 5% who had got in by being smart enough. What I realised I had to do immediately to fir in was lose my accent. i didn't develop a posh-kid voice, I just started talking properly, with as little accent as I could manage. I would then bring back the Scouseosity when playing footie with my mates outside school.

My accent came back when I left school and started working. Right up until I was 20 and got a job in Banbury, at6 which point the accent disapppeared again and has basically gone ever since - though I'm stuick in this kind of limbo where anyone from outside Liverpool works out I'm Scouse fairly quickly, but other Scousers will ask me where I'm from.

Oh and whenever anyone I don't know, outside Liverpool, asks me what team i support, I nearly kill my dad with shame and say "Everton". No-one gives a shit about the bluenoses...
(, Mon 19 Jan 2009, 12:53, 5 replies)
I can relate to this
(, Mon 19 Jan 2009, 13:04, closed)
I live in Germany and teach English so for work I have to have a pretty neutral accent. I was in Liverpool for Christmas with my parents and my German ladyfriend came too. She said it was like hearing a different person when I met a few of my friends - the accent just comes back when I'm in Liverpool - the second I got back to Germany it disappeared again... strange.
*I'm a red - predict 2-0 to us tonight* :)
(, Mon 19 Jan 2009, 19:34, closed)
re: prediction
(, Mon 19 Jan 2009, 22:32, closed)
I does come back...
every time I spend a weekend back in Liverpool, when I get back to work on the Monday (in Manchester) people say "been back home, have you?" because my accent is much stronger.

I also deal with someone based in Knowsley on a regular basis. People have commented how, when i talk to her on the phone, I suddenly become really Scouse.

Can't believe we droppped the ball last night...
(, Tue 20 Jan 2009, 9:15, closed)
What high school was it?

I'm a Merchants lad!
(, Wed 21 Jan 2009, 14:35, closed)

« Go Back

Pages: Popular, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1